Due to growth of the business, we are currently in need of a Senior Accountant with expertise in consolidations to join our team at our Vancouver Office. This newly created position will be responsible for reviewing all existing entities to determine the proper accounting treatment under ASPE analyzing whether the investee entity is a joint arrangement, a subsidiary or an investment subject to significant influence. Translation of our US investees into Canadian dollars will be necessary as well as determining if the investee is integrated or self-sustaining. This is a great opportunity for someone in public practice with consolidation experience looking to make the transition to an industry position. Initially the role will be focused on creating consolidated financial statements and then transition to a well-rounded member of the Townline Development Accounting team.
Specifically, the successful candidate will be responsible for, but not limited to:
- Review of partnership agreements, shareholder agreements and ownership structure to determine the correct accounting treatment, i.e. consolidation, equity or cost method.
- Calculate non-controlling interest.
- Determine intercompany eliminations relating to intercompany interest, construction costs, fees, etc. many of which are capitalized by the investee.
- Draft financial statement notes and build systems to track consolidated information.
- Ownership of the annual consolidated financial statements.
After the consolidation project is completed, the role will transition to include ownership of the consolidated financials as well as:
- Preparation and review of monthly accounting transactions.
- Preparation and review of month-end and year-end financial statements and working papers for accuracy in accordance with ASPE.
- Preparation of various tax forms (T2, T5018, T5013).
- Facilitate and complete month-end close procedures.
- Design and generate various reports using Excel or Sage Timberline Office to meet different requirements for accounting or operational needs.
- Establish and monitor internal controls to ensure that accounting activities are in accordance with all laws and company policies and procedures.
- Responsible for the accuracy and timeliness of financial information.
- Participate in the year-end audit and preparation of audited financial statements.
- Liaise with operations and all levels of management.
- Liaise with financial stakeholders regarding financing matters.
- Complete special projects and other duties as assigned.
Applicants for the roll must have the following:
- Canadian CPA designation with deep ASPE knowledge.
- 3 years of accounting experience including consolidations.
- Excellent Excel skills (ability to build the consolidation spreadsheets).
- Good organizational, time management and prioritizing skills.
- Sage 300 Construction & Real Estate or Yardi Voyager experience is an asset.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.).
- Canadian or US Tax experience is an asset.
- Solid analytical skills, a strong work ethic and attention to detail.
- Strong communication skills and a team player.
- A willingness to ask questions and find solutions.